Sunday, December 31, 2006

Nanowrimo Excerpt - the bully

This isn't about privacy any more than it is about theology. This is only about bullying. The dominant theme here is a person trying to bully people into agreeing with him. You see it repeated over and over, you see it in the street, on the internet, in the churches. It is a consistent pattern of demonization and psychological intimidation of anyone who does not toe the party line.
So what do we do about bullies? I was brought up with the 'Ignore them and they will go away.' philosophy.
That philosophy is wrong.
Usually the bully will keep pressing you, slowly cranking up the abuse until you react. Even if he leaves you alone for a time, he will know he can come back. If somehow he decides to leave you alone, there is another deeper problem you have to face. He is still a bully, he's just bullying someone else.

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, September 04, 2007, Blogger Yewtree said...

Hmm, you may be right. But reason ain't gonna work in this case, I fear.

I think it's a case of the bullied standing together and continuing to say No. The solidarity is the key thing here. And only engaging in argument if it is to say, "I don't know all the facts of the case so it is not up to me to judge, but you seem to be blowing things out of all proportion here."

I'm not sure when protest becomes harassment, but I think it has become that in this case.

 
At 1:32 PM, September 04, 2007, Blogger Yewtree said...

PS - here's my thoughts on this issue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home