Thursday, December 29, 2005

Trinitarianism

The Trinity is supposed to be a mystery, rationally incomprehensible. So unitarians rejected faith in favor of reason. Personally, I've never had a problem understanding the Trinity. I credit Star Trek.
I grew up on Star Trek, and it often has strange aliens with strange ways of thinking and states of existence. I grew up adjusting my mind to radical concepts.
I can almost hear Mr. Spock:
"Captain, the it appears to be an entity of infinite complexity and power, divided into three distinct agents, yet functioning as a single consciousness, it exist outside of our spacetime. Fascinating."

Ok, maybe I didn't capture the full intricacies of trinitarian theology, but my point is that on the weirdness scale, the Trinity does not impress me.
The sad thing is that to traditional christianity, I'm pretty sure that the notion that the Trinity is comprehensible is as much a heresy as the notion that it does not exist.

P.S. By the end of the episode, Uhura is poisoned by an alien fruit, one of the agents dies to save the Enterprise, and they beam Captain Kirk out of the Tomb, just before the door opens.

1 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Svafa said...

Actually, I know at least one Christian who makes the same case.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home