Friday, January 06, 2006

Definition of Heresiology

From time to time I get hits from people searching for heresiology, but I don't talk about heresiology all that much, so I thought I'd make a definitions page of sorts.

Heresy, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is a "theological or religious opinion or doctrine maintained in opposition, or held to be contrary, to the catholic or orthodox doctrine of the Christian Church, or, by extension, to that of any church, creed, or religious system, considered as orthodox. By extension, [heresy is an] opinion or doctrine in philosophy, politics, science, art, etc., at variance with those generally accepted as authoritative." (WikiPedia)
Heresiology is the study of heresies.
A Heresiologist is a person who studies heresies.

I chose the name heresiology for my blog because I am contrarian, I like to play around with ideas and twist established notions.(obscure notions too) It helps the unitarianism, universalism, and unitarian universalism are all largely heretical.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Technorati: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, August 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

memorialized for the generations. even from buphello. magine.

 
At 7:12 PM, July 24, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel in the "Heresiology" doctrine, Im a follower of Christ, and I will never denied my saviour. What happens to me is in every Church that I visit sometimes they practice things that are different, not all, but at least what I have been, example:



People praying in synagoges (churchs) long hours (before pastor preach) for other people to see is praying, Jesus teach us how to pray in a different way..


Mathew 5:5 (from Jesus lips)



"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you in public.

 
At 2:07 PM, January 25, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

 
At 7:22 PM, March 01, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean it helps that unitarianism, universalism... etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home